Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wed. 4 July 2012

Well, today I finally reached beliebte Weimar!  I have spent 6 nights in Berlin and 3 nights in Dresden.  Now I am here in the apartment I rent in Weimaar for 17 nights.  Fortunately the owner put in wifi and I was able to find a site that streams the Wimboldon matches live.
     Berlin was it's usual self.  I , of course, stayed at he Hilton.  I used Hilton Honors Points and got a free night.  So it worked out to be about $160 a night.  I've stayed at much more expensive places in Manhatten that were no where near as nice.  The wheather was for the most part good.  It rained just once and only briefly.  There was also only one really hot day.  Since I was with my friend Ernest, who had never been to Berlin or Dresden before,  we did all the basic things.  I showed him how to get a 3-day pass at the Altes Museen and at the same time make a reservation to see Nefertiti's head.  No one is ever on line there and then you just walk around the building to the Egyptian museen and go right in with your reservation ticket.  I always laugh when I see all those people waiting on line to buy tickets.
     We got to see Nefertiti's head and were the only people in the room.  It was great. Every picture you have seen of it does not do it justice and the way they have displayed it is great.  We also went into the Pergamon and did not have to wait on line because we already had our 3 day pass.  The Pergamon can be a little overwhelming but is a must see.  We also used our 3 day card to go to the Gemalde Galarie and see their wonderful collection of Old Masters.
      What I did not get to do this trip was good dining.  Ernest only wanted to eat regular German meals.  On the first night we found a little place on a corner just about a block in from Karl-Liebnitz Strasse and it was basic OK German food.  We ended up eating there a second time and that worked out because we stayed and watched Germany play Italy in the semi-finals of the European Soccer Championships.  They lost but it was exciting anyway.  That is the second time I was in Germany for a major soccer event.  Two years ago I was in Berlin when Germany was in the semi-finals of the World Cup.
   I did get to eat at my favorite spot Dolcini.  Of course we sat under the picture of Josephine Baker as I have done every time I have eaten there since I discovered it.  I love that place.  The food is good and the price is right and the people there are so nice.  Best of all there is never anyone else there, definitely no tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment