Today was a the kind of day that I like to enjoy here in Weimar. I got up about 9:00 am and made coffee and had a yogurt and a peach for breakfast. Then I went to the store and bought an eleven -pack of Kostritzer dark beer for 6e. And remember, real European beer comes in half-liter bottles. So if you are drinking something in the US that is in a regular bottle, ie one-third of a liter, it is not from Europe but was brewed for America. Anyway, I wanted to run today but I wasn't out of the house 5 minutes and it began to rain. So I came back and watched some TV and did some wash and about 1:00 pm went to run in Park-an-Ilm. It is so different running in Germany than in the US. There is no humidity here, (as a rule), so even if it is hot the paths in the park are shadded and not as hot. Also here I run on gravel and at home I run on pavement. I ran for 40 minutes and then came home to watch the Men's semi-finals at Wimbildon.
At 7:00 pm I went to eat at a Greek restaurant. I found this place last summer when I went down a street I normally don't use on my way to the park. It is called Apollon Taverna and is at the junction of Washington Strasse and Hoffman von Fallersleben Strasse and is well worth the effort to find. It has outdoor seating in the front with about 11 round cafe tables and seating inside, where I have never sat. I had a Bauer salad which was cucumbers, tomatos, onions, olives, delicious feta cheese and the most delicious, salty yellow/green peppers that I have ever had. For my Hauptgerisch, (main dish), I had a special "plate" that had 2 big pieces each of beef filet and lamb filet, rice and mextasa(?) sauce. To drink I had a small water and 2 Keller beers, one-half liter each naturally. All this for 25.50 euro. They also gave me a big ouzo shooter with my bill. All Greek restaurants in Germany seem to do this. It is called an Abschied Trink. Which means departure drink. It is a nice touch.
No comments:
Post a Comment