Yesterday I left Weimar and traveled to Bamberg. I was originally scheduled to travel to Jena-Gorschwitz, change trains, travel to Saalfeld, change trains and then travel to Bamberg. But the train leaving Weimar was late in getting out, so when I arrived in Jena I had to go down the steps from platform 1, down the passageway and up the steps to platform 4. The train was still there! I pushed the button to open the door and the train took off! So, I had to find a ticket machine and re-route myself. I waited until 12:25, only about 20 min., and took a train to Litchtenfels and then a train to Bamberg. I was only about 5 minutes late. I'm just lucky that I speak German and have used the ticket machines many, many times before. If someone had to do this without that info there might be some hassle.
So now I am in Bamberg. A UNESCO World Heritage City. This is the second 10 night stay I am making and the third time I am here. It really is a beautiful city. Unlike Weimar, it is exactly what someone from the states would expect a small German city to look like. My apartment this summer is on Juden Strasse. It is right on the heart of the old city, therefore perfectly located. Pane e Vino is a lovely little Italian restaurant and literally less than half a block. Bolero, a spanisch restaurant, is across the street. I have a tiny walk through kitchen, but it will function, a nice size living room, with disappointing cable selection, and a big enough bedroom. The bedroom has 2 single beds that you can put together but it is not the same. The bathroom is OK. So far I am perfectly happy here. And it is only 38e a night. The landlords, Frau and Herr Lempetzeder, could not be nicer.
Today I went for a walk about 10:00 am and bought myself a blueberry muffin and 4 big pretzels and came back and had coffee with the muffin and one of the pretzels. Then I went up the hill to Dom Platz. That is where the cathedral that makes Bamberg famous is located. Also up there is the Dom Museum, where I was going, and the Neues Residenz, which is the palace in which the Prince-Bishops of Bamberg lived. At the Dom Museum they are having a special exhibit on the Dom so I went. It cost 6e to get in. The most interesting stuff was the stuff related to Holy Roman Emperor Henry II and his wife. They were the pair who endowed the cathedral in the first place. They are buried in the cathedral.
After being a tourist I came down the hill and went to Hofbrau. This is a beer hall in the center of town on a corner. I sat at one of the picnic tables outside and ate a Bratwurst Teller and drank 2 Hefewiessen beers. The meal was 3 different sausages, grilled, sauerkraut mustard and a dumpling I have mentioned before, a kloss. It was good and cost 16.50e. Tonight it was a little cold out but I ate outside at Pane e Vino anyway. I had a bowl of minestrone soup, ravioli stuffed with asparagas and a half liter of Lambrusco wine. Also a small water. All for 23.20e. They have been having the canal festival the last two days so a walked through that and got back about 8:45 pm.
No comments:
Post a Comment