Last night I ate at Kostritzer for the first time, in Weimar. It was good. Basic German food, good beer and all for a good price. I had a cucumber salad, which was hugh, and a pork roast braised in dark beer that was delicious. The pork came with sauerkraut and 2 kloss. A kloss is a middle German "dumpling". It is pureed potatoes that are formed into a ball and then I think they are boiled. They don't have much taste but the people here are crazly for them and all the restaurants advertise them. I drank 2 dark beers, that they call Schwartzbiere here and it all cost me 21,40 e. Not bad.
Today I took the train to Naumburg. It cost 11e each way. Naumburg is famous, if you can call it famous, for it's cathedral. I only learned about it last year because they had a special exhibit there and it was advertised all over so I went. In the cathedral in one of the chapels are statues of the sponsers of the cathdral from the Middle ages. What makes them remarkable is that they are very animated portraits which is unusual for that time. If you have time and have never been there they are worth seeing. But get an audio guide or you may not know what is going on since it is not a museum and there are not explanitory signs.
If you go, from the train station you want to go to Markt first. You can take a taxi for very little or you can take bus # 1 or 3 to the CityBusStop and then switch to bus #2 which stops right in the Markt. A bus ride costs 1.30e. The Markt is worth a look around and there are a few places you can eat there if you want. There is a sign pointing you to the cathedral, Dom in German. It is a very short walk. Right in front of the Dom is a restaurant where you can have lunch. It is very reasonable and serves German food. I had a bratwurst with potatoes and sauerkraut and 2 beers for less that 15e.
To get back to the Hauptbahnhof do not take the bus from Markt. Go out of the square diagonally from where you enter returning from the Dom and just follow that street. It will take you in a few minutes to the citybusstop and then just get on bus # 1 or 3.
No comments:
Post a Comment