It has been a rainy few days in Weimar. Not much to do in this wheather. I have gone for several long walks and today I went to the Weimar Atrium which is their version of a mall. I wanted to buy a sweater or sweatshirt to wear in the cold wheather. I found a beige pullover for 12e. After I went to Shakespeare for lunch.
This is an interesting place. The set up is very similar to an American bar/restaurant. The bar itself actually has barstools, which is unusual, but I have never seen anyone sit there. The food is basic German. I had a bratwurst with mashed potatos and hot sauerkraut. I also had 2 beers and paid 15e. This place also has a theater in the basement. It is called Galli Theater. The restaurant personel know nothing about the theater but you have to go through the restaurant to get to the theater and you can buy a drink from the bar in the restaurant and take it downstairs with you if you want. I went to this theater once in summer 2010. The show was "The Frog Prince", naturally in German. It was a one man show and it was good. But since then the program for the theater has not changed. They are still offering the same shows they were offering 2 year ago. So it makes a nice night out and is not expensive but I think it is a one shot deal. It is on Windischestrasse.
Tonight I went to Erbenhof for dinner. I have walked past this place I don't know how many times but I have never eaten here before. I read a review on tripadvisor and decided to go. If I have not said it before, Tripadvisor is a great site. For dinner I had onion soup and veal schnitzel with potato salad. I had 2 beers and an obstler. An obstler is an after-dinner brandy made from fruit, hence the name. I n the south of Germany they are often homemade. All this cost me 31.40e. It was good and the service was good and they did seem to not care how long I stayed. There were people there who were not eating but just having a drink. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. It is on Frauentor platz.
In the same platz was this years weingut. This is when some vineyards set up booths and a band plays and people sit around drinking wine from the different vineyards. It was very crowded tonight so I did not stay. But in the past I have and it is fun. You can try the wines for 2e and they pour you a very nice glass. You can buy a bottle to drink there at one of the tables or you can buy a bottle, or 2 or 3, to take home. If you buy it to go it is really cheap. But even to buy and drink there is basically minimal. Today was night 2 and I am sure they will be there tommorrow so maybe I will go back a little earlier and have a few with the locals.
No comments:
Post a Comment