Monday, July 15, 2013

Weimar Monday 15 July

     I did not mention that on Thursday through Sunday nights we had the annual wine fest!  I have been every year since I have been coming to Weimar.  In the platz in front of Goethe's house about 5/6 wineyards set up stands and sell their wine.  You can either buy a glass, either .1l or .2l or you can buy a bottle to drink there or,( the deal of the day) you can buy a bottle to go.  On Friday night I tried 3 different wines at one place and then bought 2 bottles to go.  One weisseburgundian and one dornfelder.  Together the bottles cost me 12e!  6e each!  One 2 l glass costs 4e.
     On Saturday night, after dinner at Texas,  I went again.  This time I hit 2 different stands.  At the first I had one 2l glass and then one 1l glass and bought a bottle of Riesling for 4.50e.  At the next stand I had 2 different glasses.  Then I went home.  The winefest is a fun time.  There are a lot of people there and I don't think it is a lot of tourists.
    On Saturday morning I decided to go to Arnstadt.  I had never heard of this town before but read a bout it in a Thuringian Card book.  Apparently it is the oldest city in  Thuringia.  I took the train to Erfurt and then changed for Arnstadt.  It took less than 50 minutes and I think the change-overin Erfurt was longer than either of the train rides.  The Altstadt is pretty easyt o find from the train station.  There are signs and it is pretty much straight ahead on Erfurter Strasse.  I found the Tourist Bureau and they gave me a city map with a self-guided walking tour.  I visited the city Palace and the cathedral.  To be honest neither is that interesting.  I did stop for a beer after I got my map and after the palace I had lunch and it was nice and reasonable and I enjoyed the city and walking around there.  All in all it made for a nice day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment