I made a day trip to Gotha on Thursday 18 July 2013. I have been there 2 times before and I promised myself that if I went again I would not go to the Schloss again and I did not. I walked down into town and they were setting up for an International Folk Festival. I went to the Tourist info and asked about the city tour which I knew was already gone. But they called a guide and he took only me. The tour was nice and I especially liked that I got to talk German with him the whole time. His English was poor. We spent about 1 1/2 hours on the tour and then went for a beer. He is an elementary school teacher. I gave him 20 euros.
Gotha is worth a day if you have one to spare. It is easy to get to the main site from the main train station. Go straight down Bahnhof Strasse and make a right at Park Allee. There are signs so you can't go wrong. This street leads to the back of Friedens Schloss, the main site. You walk up to the castle from the back through a park.. In this castle are the main museums. But if you go through and out the front and take that street straight down you come to the center of the town. It is a nice town to walk through. To get to the train station you can walk or take almost any bus for 1.30Euro to the Hauptbahnhof.
I have visited Gotha 3 times and there is really no reason for me to go back but I do recommend it for travelers in Thuringia.
This tip is not only for travelers, but for any one to whom it applies. If you get a bike and go for a ride with that bike and you can not pedal that bike faster than a 50 year old man can jog down the side of the path, then you probably do not need the helmet and you definitely do not need the spandex biker shorts. Thank-you
No comments:
Post a Comment