I did not post anything while I was actually in Poznan so here it is in a nutshell. I stayed at Brovaria. A great hotel right on the main square. They only have about 30 rooms so it is small. My room, number 33, was on the top floor. A large, lovely room. It does have air conditioning. However, there is no elevator so I had to climb 6 flights of stairs every time I went to my room. I had to have an employee take my luggage up there when I arrived. I am a fit middle-aged man and it was a little much. If you can not climb a lot, and I mean a lot, of stairs make sure you are definite about where your room is. The service was great and the breakfast was fine. They have a bar/restaurant which is very popular. The price is absolutely right!!
Poznan has sights but mostly churches. I did take a riding tour but for the price it was not worth it. The guy drove me around and the audio guide spoke to me in English but for 220 zloty, or $55 it was a waste. However, it was a Monday and everything is closed on Monday.
On Tuesday I went to the National Museum and to the City Museum. Both worth a visit. The National Museum is an art museum. If you have never seen Polish art, and I have not, this is the place. I was there over 2 hours and enjoyed it. The city museum is in the town hall in the middle of the square. It is only 5 zloty, $1.25, but not a lot there if you do not read Polish.
The food in Poznan is great and very, very cheap. I ate a lot and drank a lot and it did not cost anything. I went to a great French restaurant , Bistro la cocotte on ul. Murna. It is only about 2 blocks from the main square. I had pate de foie gras, beef bourguignon, 3 glasses of good red wine and 2 waters for less than $30! I also ate at a restaurant called BeeJays. Very good. I ordered sirloin with rice and broccoli and cauliflower. I got that with chicken. I told the waiter that "sirlion" was not the meat on the plate but beef. I don't think he believed me. But that dish with 2 whiskey sours and a glass of red wine and a piece of apple pie with cream and ice cream and a coffee cost me less than $30.
I liked traveling in Poland. But there was not much difference between Wroclaw and Poznan. I would not recommend going to both of them. Either one is great but that is all you need. I took the train to Berlin and here I am. In the Eurostars for the second summer in a row. A wonderful hotel. You should come to Berlin as often as possible and stay here.
No comments:
Post a Comment