Friday, August 12, 2016

Berlin 2016

    I arrived in Berlin on Wednesday 10 August at the Hauptbahnhof.  I took the u-bahn to Friedrichstrasse Station and then walked down the street to Eurostars Berlin.  They called me a VIP but my room was still not ready.  No matter.  It was about 13:45 so I walked to the bank to get money and then went to Standge Vertretung for a beer and a bowl of delicious Gulasch.
    Anyway, my room is the same as last year and I a just as happy.  I have a king bed room and breakfast included for 7 nights for 826.60 euro total.  That is less than $130 a night!!  I believe this price is better than what I got last year.  The first night I went to Vaporetto for dinner.  That is the Italian restaurant on the Spree Ufer next to Standige Vertretung.  I have eaten there many time before.  It is basic Italian.  I ate penne arrabiato and 0.5 liter red wine.  I was happy and then took a walk and came back to the hotel to do a little drinking in the bar.
     I went today and purchased my 3-day card, 3-Tage Karte, for the museums.  I t costs 24 euro and gets you into all the major museums.  I did not need a reservation to get into the Egyptian museum, as I have in the past.  I went to the Egyptian museum and to the National Gallery museum- next to each other.  Both are great!  If you have not been, go.  Get the included audio guide and take your time.  In between museums, I did what you should also do, I went to the cafe at the Zeughaus museum. over the bridge from museum island, and had a huge, delicious piece of cake and a cup of coffee.  After I went to Hackescher Markt and had 2 dunkles beers and a pretzel at Weihenstephaner.  Also a good idea.
     Tonight dinner was a disappointment on 2 counts.  First I walked down Friedrich Strasse to my favorite Berlin restaurant, Dolcini, and it was closed!  But only for vacation, thank god.  I have not been in Berlin this late in the summer before so I did not expect it.  In 15 years of coming to Berlin this is the first time that I am not eating there!!  No la Baker!!  So I walked to Loewvenbrau.  What a mistake.  In the past, when I used to stay at the Berlin Hilton, I very often went there.  It was pleasant and the food and beer and service were great.  But no longer.  Last summer I went in one afternoon and after 30 minutes of no one coming I left.  Tonight I got a menu and ordered and received my beer in a timely manner, but 1 hour later still no food.  Only an empty beer glass.  So I left the beer money on the table and left.  The waiter saw me on the way out and I said, " ich kann nicht mehr warten.  Das Biergeld ist darauf!" .  He said, twice, "alles gut"  I said, as I stormed past, " nay, alles micht gut!"  So I had to go to Amici.  It was fine.  I had 2 dunkles, spaghetti aglio and a salad - 25 euro.
     Tomorrow I will go to Gemalde Gallerie if nice.  If not maybe Bode Museum and Altes Museum .
   

No comments:

Post a Comment