Friday, July 29, 2016

Weimar 2016 - The final Word

     Today is my last night in Weimar.  Another month gone by entirely too fast.  I know I say this every year but it becomes increasingly true.  So I decided to give some advice based on the 7 Julys I have spent here.
     For basic German food go to Sächsischer Hof.   The food and the choices are all the same in all the German restaurants in town but here they have the best  Klöße in town.  The price is right, you sit in a lovely, peaceful garden and the service is good.  Also it is never very crowded so you can always get a table.
     There are now 4 Italian restaurants in town but I have only eaten at 3 of them - Napoli, Versilia, and La Trattoria .   All offer the same basic pasta and pizza menu.  I like them all for different reasons.  La Trattoria is out of the way.  You sit on the terrace out back and it is very quiet.  Versilia has a lot of indoor seating so if it is inclement weather you can still go there.  But overall I pick Napoli.  It too has acceptable indoor seating.  The outdoor seating is in a more active part of town so you get more people passing by as you eat.  But the only real deciding factor is that a half-liter of wine is cheapest there.  The food is good in all of them.  Napoli also offers Krombacher beer vom fass and it is always fresh and delicious.
     For lunch, go to City Doner.  It is in the Theatre Platz to the left of the theater.  Go up to the take-out window and order one to go.  Be sure to say for "mitnehmen"  so you get it in a bag.   Then walk down to the beer kiosk outsice the Rathause and get a beer.  Sit down at a table and enjoy.  It is cheap, good and you are sitting right in the Markt Platz where all the world, or what little of it there is in Weimar, goes by,    Well that's it for Weimar 2016 - bis nachste Sommer!
       
City Kebab

Beer Kiosk

Tomorrow I leave for Dresden.

No comments:

Post a Comment