After 3 days in Frankfurt we went to Koln. It was easy to do but the ticket price was 71 euro and I don't know why? I looked on the ticket machine at the train station and on line and it was all the same. I stayed at the Hilton which is just up the street from the train station and to the left - very conventient. The Hilton is the Hilton. The rooms are nice and the breakfast is fantastic but only if you get a deal where it is included. If you have to pay every day it is very expensive.
The city itself is very nice and walkable around the cathedral. The tiny side streets are quiet and beautiful. The walk along the river is very nice. We ate at Toro Negro one night. Great!! It has a store front on one of the quaint small side streets and outdoor seating in the back in an unexpected courtyard, which can be used to pass through. The food was basic Spanish - steaks and shrimp and we drank a liter of red wine. For the two of us the bill was 60 euro. I would happily recommend this place. We also ate at an Indian restaurant up the street from the Hilton in the direction away from the altstadt. The food was tremendously good. We ordered a bunch of plates and beers. The servers were helpful and nice and efficient.
The cathedral itself is just stunning. Standing there and looking up is almost breath taking. I think it is because this giant cathedral is right in the middle of everything. The art museum has a nice collection and as I said, just walking around on a nice summer evening is great.

From Koln we took the train to Heidelberg. I was here a long time ago. What a beautiful little city to visit. It is so picturesque and the river views are just spectacular. The schloss ruins are like a fairytale setting. To get up there you go into a building that looks like a parking garage. At the desk you buy a ticket that is good for a ride up and then down and also to walk around the grounds. If you take a guided tour you get to go inside. Once again the views from up there are unbelievable. We stayed at the Leonardo Hotel which is nice enough. However, believe it or not the water smells. Its true.
No comments:
Post a Comment