I arrived in Munich on Friday 25 July. It was warm and sunny and I checked into the Munich Hilton City. I have never stayed in this end of the city. All the other times I was here I stayed in the Hauptbahnhof area. I am now over the Isar on Rossenheim Strasse. It takes about 10 minutes to walk tot he Isar Tor and then the city center is right there.
I have been to the Alte Pinikotek and the Egyptian museum. The Alte is one of the best art collections in Europe. It is well laid out and has a collection you can view over and over. Of course one of the highlights is the coffee shop. They have the BEST cakes. I have never gone to this museum without going in for a coffee and a piece of cake.
The Egyptian Museum was always in part of the Rezidence, but no longer is. They have built a new building for it on the block behind the Alte. It looks like a car park buiding and the stairs in the front resemble a drive way. But it is the place and what a place it is. I have never seen any place laid out like this is. You receive an i-pad-like device to wear around your neck. It shows where you are and a lay-out of the room you are in. Then you touch the object you want to learn about and it shows a picture and tells you about it! It really is unbelievable. I was there about 90 minutes.
I have eaten in 2 new places. The first is an Italian on Hildgarde Strasse. Very good and reasonable prices. I had the spaghetti Alio and the caprese salad. It is not touristy at all but you should go there during the day to find it and make a reservation while you are there. The street is behind the Hofbrau House.
The second place is called Klinglwirt and is on Balanstrasse. You go on Rossenheim Strasse past the Hilton going away from the river and make a right onto this street. I had Linz schnitzel with potato and cucumber salad and a side salad. Very basic, very good German food. If you happen to be in this area it is definitely worth a stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment