Saturday, July 5, 2014

Braunschweig, Germany 2014

     My 4 nights in Braunschweig were worth it.  I stayed at the Hotel Ritter St. George on Alte Knochenhauerstrasse.  I liked the hotel.  I had a large room in the back, I had to go through the courtyard tp get there.  It was very large and very quiet.  The people there were very nice and helpful. The breakfast was basic German - cold cuts, bread, yogurt, cereal, juice and coffee.
     In Braunscheig you have to walk around a little to appreciate it.  There are some very lovely spots and streets.  The Herzog Anton-Ulrich art collection is currently housed in the castle in the Burgplatz.  The collection is well worth seeing with the Vermeer and the Giorgione being the high points.  The cathedral is also well worth a visit.  The wall paintings from the middle ages that cover the walls and the ceiling are spectacular.  The Residenze is a reconstruction but has some nice period rooms with original furniture and a good audio guide.
     From Braunschweig I was able to visit Hannover, Celle and the Marianburg.  The Marianburg gives a very thorough and interesting tour on the royal family of Hannover but it is in German and if you need an audio guide in English you need a picture ID.  I was with a friend who does not speak German and he didn't enjoy it as much as I.  You have to take a cab to and from the castle on week days.
     Celle has a Stadtschloss that has an OK exhibit, but the town itself is beautiful.  I wish I had gone earlier in the day so that I had more time to just walk around the city.  It is easy to get there and you just walk straight down the street in front of the train station to get to the center of town.  Hannover is a large modern city with a lot to look at.  Again, it would have been nice to just spend the day walking around.  There are a few sights but they are just OK.
     If you are in this area and are going to use the trains ti travel between these cities,  but a Neidersachische day card.  For 2 people it is 26 euro and you can use it all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment