I ventured out of Weimar today to visit Rudolstadt. I think this is the only small Stadt in Thuringia that I have not yet visited. It was a nice day out. I bought a Thuringian Card for 22 e and that meant I could go any where for the day. It is more expensive than a Hopper but this place is too far for that deal. Anyway, I had to change trains in Jena-Groshwitz and the whole trip took less than an hour. From the train station the signs were very clear to get to the Altstadt. I found the tourist Info and they gave me a map and pointed me in the direction of the Heidecksburg Palace - the big draw of this small city.
I stopped for a cup of coffee and pancakes with apple sauce first and then walked up there. Not for the faint of heart. This palace is another example of a ruling family of a small territory that build a palace bigger than the main city. For 8.50e I got a guided tour and access to everything they have there. I enjoyed the tour but be warned it is only in German. After I walked back down to the main square and had a bowl of spicy potato soup and 2 beers for 10e. Then I came home.
This is an easy and interesting day trip if you speak German and you have any idea who the family Schwarzberg-Rudolstadt were. If your answer to both of those is no then don't bother. I got home about 16:30 and showered etc. Then I walked up the street to Schwarzburg Hof for dinner and a few beers. I did it all for 20e. Schwarzburg Hof is a nice place with pleasant outdoor seating. The food is basic German and the price is right. Everyone is very nice and you can hang out there as long as you want.
No comments:
Post a Comment