Friday, August 1, 2014

Budapest, Hungary - August 1, 2014

    I arrived in Budapest by train from Munich on Wednesday.  It was a long train ride - over 7 hours- but I didn't have to change trains at all.  I got money from the atm at the train station and then took a cab to the hotel.  The ride is a standard fee that depends on where you are going.  Mine was 20 euro.
     I am staying at the Kempinski Hotel and let me say that of all the 5 star hotels I have stayed in, this one is the best.  It is just gorgeous,  the room is great and the service could not be any better.  For the room and breakfast everyday, which is great, I am paying $200 a night.  Not too bad at all considering that I have paid more for one night in a 3 star hotel in Manhattan and got nothing.
     Budapest is a good city.  I am liking it more each day.  Like anywhere else you go that you are not familiar with it takes time to get to know the place a little.  I have been disappointed with the evening meals that I have had so far.  The first night I ate in a restaurant that the barman recommended to me in the pedestrian zone by the Basilica.  I don't remember the name right now but the food was OK and the prices were way too high.   But down the street was a nice outdoor bar that had the football game on and so I had a few beers and one of their version of an obstler.
     The second day I walked all the way up Andrassy Utca to the National Galley to see the art.  It was a nice walk and the museum is worth it.  They have 2 Giorgiones!  On the way there I passed an Italian at the beginning of Andrassy and went back for dinner.  I had the usual caprese salad and then taglitelli will shrimps and tomatos.  The salad was good but the pasta was a little bland and I could only get 0.125l of a glass of wine!  The service was marginal at best.  It is one of those places where the owner sits out front and has one friend after another come and take up his time.  And the waiters just putter around.  So if you don't know them and you don't speak Italian don't go there.
     Today I went up to the castle hill on the bus.  I walked around and took some pictures and had a lemonade.  It was super hot and humid and I was soaked.  So after stopping at the Hard Rock to buy a glass, I came to the hotel and am now writing this poolside!

No comments:

Post a Comment