Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Berlin 26 June 2019

     Berlin is having a wild heat wave.  Today the temperature was 35 C which is 95 F.  I walked over to the Gemalde Gallerie and by the time I got there I was a giant sweatball.  They are currently having a special exhibit called "Mantagne and Bellini" .  They were both not only Italian renaissance painters but Mantagne was married to Bellini's sister.  So the exhibit does a remarkable job of showing the influence of one on the other with side-by-side comparisons - so interesting.
     After I went, naturally, to the outdoor cafe and had a beer and a water.
Then I walked down to the sony center and ate at a place called Corroboree.  I had a burger and fries and 2 hefeweissen beers and water.  Then I walked down the street whose name I can never remember, past the Holocost Memorial and the Brandenburger Tor and along the river to the hotel.  I had to shower and sleep.
     Tonight I went down by the river to Vaporetto on Shiffbauerdamm.  I sat along the river and had a diavolo pizza, a large water and a 1/2 liter of Chianti.  I ended up paying 40 euro.  But I was there a long time and I always enjoy it.  Now I am having a beer in the hotel bar but I am really tired and need to sleep.
     This morning I was sitting in the breakfast room quietly reading my paper when I was surrounded by a group of Jewish-American seniors who were talking really loud and standing and all of this while hovering over me.  On of them spoke to me because she thought she knew me?  So I moved because it was too obnoxious.  Now they are in the bar!  One of the men came up to the bar and was already speaking in a very loud voice to the bartender, of course all of this is in American, when he turns and starts yelling across the room to the others about the type of vodka they wanted?  Don't people from America respect anyone?  I am sure they are all very nice people but really?  Do you have to yell? And what about the rest of the guests who may not want to participate?  This is why Europeans have such a bad impression of Americans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment