Saturday, September 8, 2018

Munich-finish

     I realized that I only wrote once about Munchen and even though I am gone, I want to record the trip.  The weather did improve.  Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were fine sunny days.  I got to see the Alte Pinokotek, the Neue Pinokotek,  the Residenz Museum and the Schatzkammer, and the Bayrisches Museum which had a special exhibit on Barock Luxury.  I also went on Friday for a walk through the English Garden to the Beer  Garden.  I ate a Bratwurst with Fries and drank a Mas(1 liter) beer.  It is the Hofbrau in the pictures.
     I did eat at two familiar places in the end.  On Thursday night I ate at Pizzaette where I had eaten some years ago.  It was very nice.  All I had was a salad and a plate of penne arrabiatta but it was good and the 3 glasses of wine I had to go with it were even better.  Nothing beats sitting outside on a beautiful evening and having a meal and then hanging out and having a few drinks.  We NEED this in the US.  On Friday night I went to Simplcissimus.  It is a small beer hall and I ate there once last year.  The menu is small and it is just basic German food but the beer is Augustiner Brau and the price and atmosphere are perfect.  If I am in Munchen again and stay at the same place I think I will go to these 2 places more than once because they close, local and make for a great night.
     One thing I will complain about has to do with the Hilton Munich City.  This is the third time I have stayed there and I still like the area and the overall service.  The renovation is done and it looks great but...  In the past the bar was a nice place with food, drinks and 2 big screen tvs with either football or tennis to watch.  With the renovation the bar is really nice to look at but there are no more tvs,  there is only a bar food "chic" menu of food which is way over priced and sucks and they play loud music all the time and the service sucks.  So it puts a damper on the overall experience especially when you know what it was in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment