Since my last post in Munich, I have spent 4 nights in Innsbruck, Austria and 3 nights in Graz, Austria. I am now on night 5 in Vienna. I was in Innsbruck once before. I think 2017 but I am not sure. I stayed at the Goldener Adler Hotel and it was wonderful. It is right up the street from the Goldenes Dachl and the perfect place to be. I booked one of their bigger rooms and it was fine. It had AC and a "German double" bed. The people there could not have been nicer or more accommodating. If I am ever back in Innsbruck I will definitely stay here. Across the street is a bar called Franz's, I think, and they make a nice Negroni for only 7,50 euro.
I ate up the street, really next door, at Mama Mia's. Obviously, Italian. I also ate at Weisses Rossl, Altstadt-Schmankerl and Ansicht Wirthaus. The last 3 are Austrian places and I enjoyed them all. I also enjoyed an afternoon wine and sausage at Continuim in der Pfarrgasse. I went there one night for a drink as well. I went to the Hofburg and the hofkirche. The Hofkirche is very interesting because of the "black" statues. If you know who they are it is even more interesting. I also went to the Ambras castel were I never went before. I took the street tram using a pass the hotel gave me. Another reason to stay there. Then I had to walk up the hill. Long but not bad. When I was buying my ticket the woman there told me a tour was beginning in 1/2 an hour, so I went. They are only in German on a daily basis. It was interesting and after I got a coffee and cake at the cafe and them took myself through the portrait gallery. I enjoyed it. I also went to the Tyroller Landesmuseum. It was interesting and more so because I experienced the mosrt insulting Art of my life. On the top floor was the Special Exhibit. So I started there. 9 rooms with nothing in them. Seriously. They were all supposed to smell differently. But they didn't smell at all. Only like a public room.
Graz was an ok place. I stayed at the Palais Erzherzog Johann. The nicest hotel in Graz. An old palace very well located and very reasonable. My room was big and very stately. I found a bar called Dizzy's and the first time I was there I ordered a Negroni and thought it was about 10 euro, good, but the waitress only charged me 5,90 euro and said it was Happy Hour until 8 o'clock. Needless to say I returned the other 2 nights. I ate at a greek place across the street form Dizzy's called Dionysis. I also ate at Peppone. It was Italian and very small and local and I enjoyed it. I spoke with an older man, even older than me, sitting at the next table. He said he has lived in Graz for 60 years and comes to that place all the time. They did know him. There really is nothing to see in Graz. I took the funicular up to the Schlossberg but nothing there. So it is really just walking around and enjoying being there. I don't think I need to return, but if you are passing through it is worth a few nights.
Now I am in Vienna. I am staying at one of my favorite hotels, Konig von Ungarn. I have stayed here many times before and always in single roon 202. But this time I am in double 308 and it is wonderful. Several people here have been here since I started coming way back in 2006(?). I have not been here since 2017 and I have been to the Albertina, Kunst Historisches Museum, Leopald Museum and the Schatzkammer.
No comments:
Post a Comment