Thursday, July 27, 2023

Berlin 27 July 2023

      I arrived in Berlin yesterday.  It was about 3 am USA time and about 9 am German time.  The flight was quicker than ususal, about7 hours, and I got out of the airport easily and quickly.  I took a taxi to the hotel and was checked in right away.  All I did was shower and nap and go for an early dinner.  I ate at Block House, a steak house I have been to many times.  After, I came back and was asleep by 9 pm.

     Of course today I was up earlier than ususal so I went for breakfast in the "regular" room and took my time.  Since it was early, there was really no one there.  At about 9:30 I left and walked up Unter den Linden to the Stadt Schloss.  The museums/exhibits don't open until 10:30 so I got a cup of coffee and wrote a postcard.  I went into the Sculpturen Salle, the History-of-the-Site panorama and through most of the permanent exhibit.  It is very interesting with so much to see.

     At about 12:30 pm I walked to Gendarmarkt.  The platz in front of the 3 buildings there is closed because the whole area is being "re-paved" so the Erdingen bar is not there.  I had to sit at there regular restaurant across the street.  Had a Weiss beer and a water.  Then I walked to Augustinier and had a beer and pretzel.  Then it was back to the room for a nap.  At about 4 pm I got up and was in the bathroom when there was a knock on the door.  It was house-cleaning!  I told the man I needed an hour.  After a shower and a shave I dressed and walked to Friedrich Strasse German restaurant for dinner.  Rinderroulade, red cabbage and a large salad.  Also a beer and a water.

      It was about 70 degrees all day today and at the end of dinner it was rainimg so I walked back and made a video call to  Ernest in London.  While we were on the phone someone knocked on the door and it was housekeeping!  at 7 pm!  So far the weather has been a little cold, which is suprising considering the rest of the world is having a heat wave.  But I am not complaining.

    I think tomorrow I will go to the Hauptbahnhof to buy my train ticket to Weimar and also to thye Gemalde Gallery. 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment