After 10 nights in beliebted Weimar I took the train to Dresden for 4 nights. I used the 9euro card that Herr Cresse told me to buy. I used it to take the bus to the Hauptbahnhof and then the RB to Leipzig and then the RE to Dresden. In all it took about 3 1/2 hours and was no different than it would have been otherwise. I am at the Dresden HIlton which I booked using points. For a King Executive, including Executive lounge and breakfast, I paid 100000 points and 217 euro. Terrific!
I have taken it slow and enjoyed my time here, again. I went to the Alte Meister Gallerie and saw the special exhibit on Bellotto. The nephew of Canaletto. I used the new ipad to go through the collection. On Saturday I went to the Rezidence and there are new parts open there. There are a series of "Paradezimmer". I used my audioguide in all these rooms. They have a painting of the Saxon Elector meeting Louis XIV and in the middle of them both is "Liselotte" von der Pflaz! I was happy to see her again. Today I went back to the Old Masters and went through on my own. I was there over 2 hours again but I skipped the Bellotto and only saw the paintings. I found the Vermeer!
The eating has been good. The first night I ate at Gansedieb. I have been there before. It is German food. I had Bauerschnitzel. It was very good. I had a 1/2 l red to go with it. The next night I ate at El Rodizio, a steak house. I had PiriPiri gambas which were very good, and a lot of them too. Then I had an Entrecote, rare, with broccoli. All very good and a 1/2 l of sangria to go with it. Saturday night I ate at Tex-Mex Sante Fe. Also new. I had salad and then ribs and wings. Very good but the "hot" sauce was not very hot. Tonight I ate at a Czech restaurant in Konigsstrasse over the bridge in Neustadt. Also new and also very good. I had garlic soup which was great and then Rinderroulade, which I have not had yet this year. I drank two Czech beers - Staropramin Granat. All my eating experiences have been great. Good service, good food, good price.
There has been a Kunst Fest on the Altemarkt for 3 days so I stopped there for a drink twice after dinner. Last night a couple shared my table and we had a good time. They are about my age and they live here in the Dresden area. They have traveled a lot so we had plenty to talk about. And it was all in German! I am sitting outside at the Dampfschiff, which is part of the Hilton and I found the trains I am going to take home tomorrow. I have my stuff together so packing will be nothing and the train is not until 10.
No comments:
Post a Comment