After Straßburg I went to Trier Germany for two nights. I stayed at the Mecure Porta Nigri which, remarkably, is across the street from the Porto Nigri. That is the ancient Roman gate of the city. Needless to say it is perfectly located. I had a nice room with AC and the hotel has a nice bar. I got to go into the Porta Nigri, which is interesting and offers a nice view. I went to the Roman museum which has an interesting collection and presents it well. It has the largest horde of Roman coins ever found! We went to the cathedral and saw the chapel of the coat. A coat allegedly from the 1st century so naturally they claim it belonged to Jesus. We also saw the Basilica which originally was the throne room of the emperor.
 |
| Porto Nigri |
 |
| Trier |
 |
| Mercure Trier |
On day two we went on a one hour river cruise. It was a sunny day and the short cruise was quiet and peaceful. It is a small and quiet city. Not so much to do but worth a stop. The food and beer were typical German.
Next it was on to Köln. This was my third time here and I really like this city. I also stayed for the third time at the Köln Hilton and I really like that hotel. It is up the street and around the corner from the train station, which is in the middle of the city, so you can easily walk there. We went to the Art museum, which has a good collection and we went to the Modern Art museum which was not good. I am sorry but a canvas painted solid blue is not art.
I got to eat at Toro Negro restaurant again and of course at the Hard Rock! If you are there definitely eat at Toro Negro in Salzgasse. It is a Spanish steak restaurant and the food is excellent! The Hard Rock is just fun. Drinking the Kölsch beer at Früh is also something to do while you are there. From Köln I went alone to Bonn, where I am now.
No comments:
Post a Comment