Sunday, August 19, 2018

Weimar - Macbeth 2018

     Last night I went to the Premiere Night of the Deutsches Nationaltheater of "Macbeth". It was exciting to go,  they haven't had anything in the summer since I saw "Kaufman von Venedig"  there in 2016.  It was an interesting and original production.  The performers were all in somewhat grotesque and/or funny costumes.  Macbeth and Lady Macbeth were in body suits that distorted them a lot.  They acted a little off too. I mean the physical part.  Duncan was also the same.  Macduff and Malcolm were good looking guys, one in pants and the other in a skirt and both had silver painted torsos and faces.
     Of course it was translated into German so the familiar lines etc.  were not there and that made it different as well.  It was well done until the last 20 minutes.  Suddenly the were not in the body suits and there were no set pieces.  There was also a speech from Macbeth about Weimar??
    I did enjoy it and it always makes me happy when I go to something like this and have no problem following in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment