Thursday, August 9, 2018

Prague 2018 (2)

   It is night three of my stay here in Prague and it has been HOT.  Yesterday I attempted to go up to the castle complex.  I have been through the whole thing in the past and only wanted to go to the Old Masters Gallery.  I have never been in there and don't think it was open in the past. Anyway,  I got lost walking to the bus stop I needed so by the time I got there I was in no mood to get on an overcrowded, stiflingly hot bus with every other tourist in Prague.  And there are thousands of them.  So I climbed the steps up there.  When I got there, and it is not easy, there was a line to go through the control.  I had had it so I went back down and walked back to the Small City.  This is the area across the Charles Bridge under the castle hill.  I had to sit and have some water and a few beers.  I went back to the hotel to shower and then went for an early dinner at an Italian place down the road.  I had red wine and salad and lasagna.  I went for another wine in the main square and then back.
     Today I made a second attempt.  I left earlier and bought my ticket and stood at the bus stop with the dozens of others.  However when the dinky, hot, crowded bus came I did not get on it.  While drinking yesterday I saw a nice, new, large number 22 and figured it would be coming next - and it was!!  At the castle hill I found the museum and decided I needed to power up before I went in so I went to the terrase and had a couple.  The collection was small.  But  the building was actually air-conditioned and it was presented nicely.  There were some Cranachs, a few, (3 ), Titians, Tintorettos, (4?)  and maybe 2 Veronese.  I was in there for about an hour.  Then I walked down the steps on the other side and into the Small City, over the Charles Bridge and to the Hard Rock.  I had 2 beers and a hamburger there and then came back and had a nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment