Friday, July 13, 2018

Würzburg 2018

     I have just returned this afternoon from a 3 night stay in Würzburg.  Würzburg is in northern Bavaria.  I had to take the train to  Erfurt and then after a @15 minute wait take the train to Würzburg.  The whole trip was a little under 3 hours.  It was an easy trip and I arrived there in the late afternoon.  I stayed at Greifensteiner Hof Hotel.  It is right in the middle of the Old Town area, so very well located.  My room was a double with a nice bed and a lot of room.  It had 2 rest rooms.  One with just the toilette and one with the sink, mirror and shower.  Both roomy and nice.  I got breakfast included and it was ok.  The only hot food was scrambled eggs and bacon.  The rest was the usual assortment of meats, cheeses, yogurt and fruit.
     There are two main reasons to go to Würzburg .  One is to see the city palace or Residenz, in German.  This is a large, ornate palace right in the city.  What makes it unique, other than its size, are the frescos in there that were painted by Tiepolo.  The painting over the ceremonial staircase is the largest single-piece fresco in the world.  It is an allegory of the 4 continents they knew about at the time.  Magnificent!!

























     The other reason to go is that Würzburg is in the heart of the Main River wine country!  SO of course, in the interest of being a cultural traveler,  I had to experience that.  I did also go through the Dom Museum where I saw some Tilmann Riemannschneider wood cravings.  One night I ate Italian at la Rustico, and it was very good.  I had steak at Steakhaus and that was expensive but really good.  I also ate twice, one lunch one dinner, at Lammle Wirthaus.  I liked it there.  I shared a big table with an older couple from Berlin.  The woman remarked that not only do I speak beautiful German, which others have said, but that she would have believed I am a German!  That has never happened before.  Maybe she was just being nice but I will take it.
     













No comments:

Post a Comment