Everything today went off without a hitch. I went down about 10 minutes before the car was due to arrive because of the whole elevator situation. I wasn't there 5 minutes when the car arrived. The driver was pleasant, as always, and the trip to Newark Airport was only 25 minutes. I was able to check in immediately. I had checked-in on line so I only had to print the boarding pass and give in my luggage. The line to be checked moved quickly but I had to keep going back and then they finally scanned me.
As promised, I found the first class lounge and went in there. Nothing so special in appearance, but the food and the wine and beer and soft drinks are free!! I had 3 Bud drafts. I shared a table with a Greek woman who lives in Brighton, England and was visiting her sister in NJ. Very nice and agreeing with me about the state of affairs in both Europe and the US. The flight was scheduled to leave at 5:50 pm and I left the bar at 5:10. It took seconds to walk to the gate and they had already boarded! So I walked on to the plane and took my seat. I moved to the single seat in the middle so some guy could sit next to his son. I had one Heineken and I do not know how many Rieslings. They just kept filling my glass. I also had 2 port wines with the cheese course. First class over to Europe - always the way to go.
We arrived in Berlin early! The flight was only scheduled to be 8 hours and we were early. I got my luggage and took a cab to the hotel - 25 euro. It was pouring rain and he let me out on Friedrichstrasse instead of coming around the block and up to the front of the hotel. I did not care except I got soaked. Fortunately they gave me my room immediately! So I went to bed. I had trouble at first but when I did wake up it was 2 in the afternoon. So after a shave and a shower I went down the street to Block House and had dinner there. I had a house salad, steak and grilled vegetables, 2 Weisse beers and a Perigrino. All for, including a tip, 35 euro. After I walked up to Unter den Linden and then down to the river. I walked past the museums and back to the hotel and now I am having a few in the bar. It is only 6:15 pm but I am tired and when I go up I will watch something on the computer before I go to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment