Saturday, September 21, 2024
21 September 2024
Well, the same thing that happens to me every year happened again this year. I don't record what I did during my time in Europe. So to recap: I left Weimar after 6 weeks there in my apartment. I went to Munich for 8 nights and stayed at the the Hilton Munich City, a great hotel. After 8 nights, I went to Strassburg, France and stayed at the Hotel Cour de Courbeau. After 5 nights I went to Paris and stayed at the Hotel Maison Astor for 8 nights.
Munich was as wonderful as always! I went to the Alte Pinathotek, the Egyptian Museum, the Lenbach Haus Museum, the Schwabing neighborhood, the Residenz Museum and plenty of time just roaming around. I ate at the same places I always eat at and they were as good as ever. I was in Munich longer than before and I enjoyed it. I wasn't concerned about getting anywhere and I relaxed and enjoyed the city and the hotel in a quieter way than usual.
I took the train to Strassburg. There was no direct route so I had to go to Mannheim and then Strassburg. It was no problem. In Strassburg I stayed at a great hotel.. I belong to the Accor group of hotels and found this hotel on that website. The Hotel Cour de Courbeau was very wonderful! It is over the river from the main/old part of the city but it is only seconds. Really, I walked out of the hotel and across the street and there was the bridge to cross to the City Center. I loved Strassburg and this hotel! I had booked a prestige room and was upgraded to a suite. 2 rooms on the courtyard with a door out to the walkway that circled the courtyard. I had breakfast included which was served in the bar room that seemed to be always open. It was a beautiful building and the people there were absolutely great! Since I did not know the city they helped with suggestions for restaurants and made me reservations. It was a relaxing and enjoyable stay. If circumstances arose to be there again I would have no problem staying there again and would definitely stay at the same hotel.
Finally, I went to Paris for 8 nights. I have been there several times before but it has been at least 10 years. This hotel is in the 8th arrondissemant. It is very near St. Augustin, St. Madeleine and the Arc de Triomph. I walked from here to the Louvre and to the Orsay Museum. In addition to these 2, I also went to the Concierge, the Carnavalet Museum and the Luxembourg Gartens. The people at the hotel helped me with restaurants and made reservations and everything was wonderful! I think the best days were when I was just roaming around. It is easy to buy a subway ticket either from the machine or from the ticket booth. The next time I am there, I will buy the card they offer and put 10 rides on it and then add more as needed. All the restaurants I ate at were French, except for 1 Italian. The food was great and the prices were consistant throughout. I enjoyed walking around and stopping for a wine or coffee somewhere. Be warned, you cannot get a dinner reservation before 7:00 pm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment