Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday August 9, 2012

     Well I am home from another summer in Germany.  My last days in Vienna were great and of course on my last night I sat around thinking I wish I did not have to leave.  I went to Schonbrunn on Wednesday and had a very nice day.  It is very easly to get there,  You take the A4 subway line out of Karlsplatz and simply get off at Schonbrunn.  I bought the Grand Tour for 15.50 euro which entitles you to go through all the rooms.  I had about an hour before my entrance time and so I went for a walk in the gardens which was nice.  The rooms there are all set up and if you are at all familiar with Habsburg history you will enjoy it.  If you are not familiar with the Habsburgs then it is just another palace to go through.
     At about 5:00 pm I took a walk over to the bistro/cafe right off the main street up to Michaelstor at the hofburg and next to the Levant restaurant.  I just sat for about 45 min and had an Aperol spritz.  I know they are sort of a "ladies" drink but I love them.  They are so good and refreshing.  After I went to my favorite bar, l'ansio, on Habsburg Strasse for dinner .  I had tomato soup and lasagna and a salad and a glass of Lambrusco.  Sitting there was when I really did not want to leave.  But I had to.
     So Thursday morning I left for the USA.  Let just give this piece of advice about flying, especially from Europe to the US.  You do not need to get there early.  My flight was at 9:20 am and the boarding was supposed to begin at 8:50 am.  At 8:30 am there were 5 people there.  I could have arrived at 9:00 and had no problem at all.  I realized on the flight home that the first time I flew to Europe was in 1979.  In the 33 years since then a lot in life has changed, but not air travel.  Flying on a plane now is the same as when I was a kid.  The airplane interiors have not changed, the comfort has not changed, the speed or the efficiency of the flight has not changed.  I do not get it.
     Anyway I do not expect to travel again until the Spring, so I do not think I will have all that much to say until then.  If by some chance there is someone other than me reading this,  if you leave a comment or a question I may not get back to you immediately but eventually I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment